If I handed you a pie pumpkin, would you know what to do with it? Yes of course you would, because you’re a smart individual who can follow my directions and turn it into pumpkin puree. Awesome, good for you. End of story.
Oh, it’s not the end of the story? Hm. Pumpkin pie, you say. Interesting idea… 😉
Yes, pumpkin pie. Made with a real pumpkin (because you may or may not know that oftentimes canned “pumpkin” is actually another kind of squash). Many pumpkin pie recipes call for canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, and white sugar, so I was super excited to have one that uses cream and honey! Also, it tastes awesome.
- 2 c. pumpkin puree
- 3/4 c. honey
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- 3 t. pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 unbaked 9″ pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine pumpkin, honey, vanilla, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix in the cream then gently beat in the eggs.
- Pour into an unbaked 9″ pie shell, cover the crust with foil or a pie shield, and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool and serve with (real) whipped cream!